Culture provides distinctive essays on popular culture (TV shows, movies, music, books), broader media commentary, and issues of importance to women.
Thoughtful personal reflections and op-eds, either with newsy hooks or timeless insight. 1000-1300 words.Pop Culture Content:
Articles that draw a cultural comment drawing from a current TV show, film, book, or song/album. 1000-1300 words.Newsy Commentary:
Commentary on one of the topics below within 12 hours of breaking / trending news on the topic. (500-750 words)Contributions to our Weekly "While You Were Out" Roundup:
Short notes on news of the week in 100-300 words. To be considered for publication each Friday, these must be submitted by Wednesday midday / Thursday morning at the latest.
Topic areas that are of perennial interest to us:
- ENTERTAINMENT / ARTS: Books, Music, TV & Film
- WOMEN IN THE WORKPLACE: reporting, roundups, profiles (pitch before writing)
- SEXUAL / REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH: reporting and/or personal reflection on topics including fertility, hookup culture, sexual assault, infidelity
- MOTHERHOOD / personal reflections, commentary
- SEX DIFFERENCES
- MENTAL HEALTH / reporting and/or personal reflections
- TIME AND BANDWIDTH MANAGEMENT / Work-Life Balance / reporting, personal reflections
- WOMEN'S PORTRAYAL IN MEDIA: commentary
- INSPIRING WOMEN / roundups or commentary on women in literature, film, or modern day
- NEWSY commentary